User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Why 9:00, 8:00 Central?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Why 9:00, 8:00 Central?

Have you ever wondered why the Central time zone has a different time for TV programs? Who decides that kind of thing? Do you think it could possibly be based on the mid-westerner stereotype of being more of the hard working type, early to bed and early to rise? What do you think, or maybe you know?

I spent most of my life watching TV in the Central time zone until I was almost 30, so it was weird when we moved out west to have prime time shows not start until 8 and the local news not on until 11, but I am used to it now. It used to be no big deal to stay up to watch at least part of the late night talk shows, but I never hardly watch them anymore. This is probably a good thing since there is a lot of trash on these programs anyway. Even though there is a prevalence of filth on Saturday Night Live, I do miss some of the hilarious sketches on there. One of the favorites for me and my wife was Chris Farley as the motivational speaker with the classic lines "in a van down by the river" and the one we repeat often to each other "well lah-tee-freakin-dah".

2 Comments:

  • Matt Foley one of the all time greatest SNL characters.

    By Blogger JOE B, at 4:16 PM  

  • I am not good for late night ratings, usually in bed way too early...

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home