User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: nneP, what's the likelihood of that?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

nneP, what's the likelihood of that?

One of the blog sights I have enjoyed recently has a great quote on it which actually came from another blogger’s comment whose site I enjoy and I have linked both of these for you. “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” E. E. Cummings. I like to think that my site serves this purpose for laughter at least occasionally, but I don’t usually have the opportunity to show physical humor. However, something happened Sunday evening that was quite comical even though it was at my expense. It was parents’ night for AWANA at our church. AWANA is a program for kids where they learn about God, memorize scripture, and play games. My wife and I went thinking that we would see a little more about what our son does for the hour plus that he spends there each week. We didn’t realize that part of this meant that we were going to participate in some of the games. One of the games had all the kids on different teams shoot tennis balls with a homemade sling shot deal towards all the parents who were holding a sheet about 75 yards away and we were to try and catch these flying objects. I was trying to concentrate on our team and was waiting for them to shoot when wham… the tennis ball shot by the team next to us came sailing towards me and connected right on the top of my shiny head. What is the likelihood that it would pop me right in the head? The other parents on my team started cracking up as apparently they all saw the projectile coming my way but said nothing to warn me to duck or get out of the way. I reacted with as much dignity as I could muster considering this humiliating event by pretending that it made me all wobbly like you would see in a cartoon. In addition, I went along with the jokes that followed and laughed at myself and even asked my wife’s friend if she could read “Penn” across my forehead. Of course, she corrected me and cracking up said no that it would say “nneP”. Others commented on my misfortune later in the evening including our pastor who witnessed the event. Little did I know that my mockery would soon get even worse. My family decided to not stay for the evening service since our youngest had been in the nursery for all this time and didn’t feel good about leaving her in there for another hour. Well, I just learned that the pastor decided to comment about the AWANA parents’ night from the pulpit that night and chose to share the tennis ball mishap with the whole congregation. Oh well, I guess it is easier to find humor in life when we are willing to laugh at ourselves.

2 Comments:

  • Who ever would have thought that going to church could be so dangerous?

    Great story.

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:57 PM  

  • Whaaat,
    Oh my Goodness, that is so funny, I bet the kids got a blast out of seeing you get hit by that ball. That is one of my goals in life, make kids laugh.
    Thanks for the link and kind words on your blog site. I can not take all of the credit though, not1jot is the one who found the quote about laughter and shared it with me. It fit so well with my blog, I decided to share it with everyone else.
    God bless,
    Joe

    By Blogger JOE B, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home