User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Potty Talk # 6

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Potty Talk # 6

What age is it not ok for your little kids to go with you into a public bathroom when they are of the opposite sex? Maybe it’s when you are confident that they can do everything on their own, when they can button their pants on their own, or wash their hands on their own. Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy who let his young daughter use the port-a-potty on her own and when she came out he asked if everything was ok and she said “yes and I even washed my hands”. Knowing that the port-a-potty didn’t have running water, he asked her how she did that. She said I used that little round bar of soap sitting in the sink next to the potty. That was no sink and that was no bar of soap, that was the urinal deodorizer block they put in so it doesn’t smell so bad. Ewwww, that’s gross. Anyway, with the world like it is today, maybe this isn’t even the issue, maybe it is more when you feel they will be safe going by themselves. And what do you do if you are a mom and you have to go use the restroom yourself but you don’t feel it is safe for your son to wait outside by himself, but he is really too old to be in the ladies restroom with you. I think my wife is nearing this point with our son, although I have never really thought about it since for me it is not an issue yet since our daughter is still in diapers. What has been your experience?

2 Comments:

  • This really is a big deal!!! Ask any single mom with a son - this is one of the most difficult things to deal with in very public places.

    For example, if I was at the local Target I'd feel safe letting my son go in the men's room by himself (at a certain age that I can't remember offhand) and I would wait outside listening to make sure no one hurt him.

    BUT...if I am at Disneyland, he's going in the woman's room with me until he is old enough to yell bloody murder if someone dares to touch him. There are too many weirdos in the world to trust anyome.

    It's sad that we have to think along these lines. I think it would be even harder for a dad with a daugter.

    By Blogger Bar L., at 10:52 AM  

  • Yuck, stuff that I have not even, ever really thought about. However, when one has to go, I guess we'd use that porta-potty in emergencies. I had to once, and was it ever disgusting. Especially hard for a woman. :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home