User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: More on word origins

Things that make you go hmmm.

Monday, May 02, 2005

More on word origins

Here are a couple more words that we say that you have to wonder where we came up with these phrases. Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? Also, one of my wife's favorites is whopperjawed. She usually says this when I am helping my kids get dressed and have put their pants on crooked, or all whopperjawed. Or is it out of whack?

2 Comments:

  • Ahhh, just say that it is on wrong and get it over with. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 PM  

  • I grew up with the word whopper-jawed. Not sure how far back in my family it went but I have found that it isn't a common word. My husband never heard it until I said it. Have only run into a couple people that have ever heard the word much less know what it means.
    The meaning is the same as your wife's... something crooked, askew or our of alignment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home