User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: I'll be a secretary...

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

I'll be a secretary...

... if it means getting to go out for a free lunch. I get to go out to lunch today paid by my company with three co-workers for “administrative professionals day” I believe formerly known as “secretaries day”. I don’t consider myself as an administrative professional really and definitely not as a secretary. Not that there is anything wrong with being a secretary, it's just not what I have been educated or trained for. It all started when I first joined this company 4 years ago. I was hired as the company’s accountant and my boss was the office manager. She was also the supervisor over the other more traditional secretarial/admin. positions so when secretaries day came around I was included. I didn’t mind since no other perks really for my job, no Christmas bonus or other monetary perks like that, and it was a free lunch. About 2 years ago, our corporate office moved the accounting functions to corporate so I was facing my job being eliminated. The local office finally decided to keep me on so I could take over the responsibilities of a man that was retiring as well as other misc. duties. I no longer report to the office manager and I am more just her co-worker and my job is even less secretarial (although I do have to answer phones and other such duties since our office is so small). Am I bad/wrong for participating in being recognized in this way? I feel a little funny being included in this still, but like I said before it is a free lunch. I am not one to have such an ego that I feel I am above these other workers either so I’m not too proud to go, especially since it is a free lunch. What would you do? Remember, we are talking about a free lunch here.

5 Comments:

  • Go for it guy. This is also a way to get to know your co-workers better. Right? How would they feel if you said, no. Let us know how it came out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 AM  

  • What would be more imnpressive is if you could somehow score a lunch on Arbor Day.

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 11:14 AM  

  • My take on this is that you feel demoted by being a "secretary" or "administrative Assistant." You mentioned you had a college degree in finance. I also have a college degree and I choose to be and Administrative Assistant. I can also assure you that without my skills in my office not to mention all the million of little things I do, nothing would ever get done and my office would be in a gigantic mess. Good for you that you got a free lunch but don't down play the importance of those jobs at a lower level than yours.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

  • Just got back from a great lunch at Olive Garden. We had appetizers, our choice of entree, and even dessert. It was nice to sit and talk about our lives outside of work even though always hard to hear in a crowded restaurant. I definitely don't play down the importance of these other co-workers and I rely on and appreciate the work they do daily. My degree in Accounting doesn't make me treat them with less respect. I was mainly just not wanting them to question my being included on their special day, but they definitely didn't seem to mind.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 2:06 PM  

  • I thought there was no such thing as a free lunch. Hmmm....

    By Blogger BJ, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home