User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Remembering your childhood

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Remembering your childhood

What causes some people to be able to remember their childhood, and yet others like me can't remember very much? My wife is one who can recall things pretty well from her growing up years. She will joke with me about never being able to recall things when things come up, usually regarding our kids' experiences. Like birthdays, she remembers birthday parties with a lot of details, even what the cakes looked like. Maybe because those were things that she cared about then and I didn't really (not that I know whether I didn't care or not because I can't remember). Or maybe it's because there were pictures taken and she remembers looking at those. That could be it, I am the youngest of 5 kids and my family would joke about how there were hardly any pictures of me. Are there some other reasons for not remembering? Maybe it's a chemical imbalance (not sure what that means, but it sounds good). Some might say psychologically that people like me are repressing those memories due to something that happened in my childhood. Sounds like a lot of therapy psycho-babble. Not me, I had a very good childhood (I think, I can't really remember). What about you? Do you remember your childhood?

2 Comments:

  • I know a woman who can't remember anything prior to being 12 years old. That was the year her parents adopted her brother and she was no longer an only child.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:44 PM  

  • Hello!!! I thought I'd add my two cents about the ability to remember one's childhood based on gender. It seems to me that most of my female friends have a better memory of their childhood than the men I know. Maybe it's because we are more commonly "right-brained" and that's the side that deals with emotions and visuals? Just a guess.

    I can remember as far back as age 2. It's really weird to remember back that far, but I can describe a few events that occured and my mom verified they really happened.

    Most of my memories are based on an emotional experience but oddly enough, my very first memory is of standing near the front steps of my neighbors house watching her sit in a rocking chair on the porch smoking a cigar! Don't ask me why I remember that, I just do :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home