User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: He, Him, and His

Things that make you go hmmm.

Monday, May 02, 2005

He, Him, and His

Have you ever wondered when exactly are you supposed to capitalize the words he, his, and him when referring to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit? I have seen it both ways and not consistently either way to know if there is a certain rule to follow. I usually try to make effort to capitalize these when I write them mostly not wanting to be disrespectful. I just finished a 40 day Bible study and was surprised that in the book that went with the study, the author for the most part never did capitalize these words. Unlike most of my posts that may have silly or rhetorical questions, this is a genuine question that I would like the answer for if anyone knows.

4 Comments:

  • Well, the Bible doesn't capitalize him in reference to Jesus--that I know for sure. I, on the other hand, have found it giving glory where glory is due to capitalize whenever I realize that I'm writing about our LORD in any form, pronoun or not. All that to say that I feel that at this time in history it is personal preference that will prevail here. Thanks for your post.

    By Blogger BJ, at 12:54 PM  

  • I was too, but I read it again and I am pretty sure that he thinks that we should... and that we shouldn't.: ) From all the comments here I would say that either way is ok, and as a casual writer, I guess I am going to continue capitalizing these pronouns to show respect and honor to God and not worry about it.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 12:41 PM  

  • I personally like to capitalize those pronouns refering to God or our Lord. Maybe it doesn't matter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 PM  

  • It's definitely a respect thing...If you respect our Lord, show it...Capitalize when you're talking about Him, and if anyone has a problem with it, tell them to take it up with Him! Haha God bless!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home