User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Ring around the Rosie

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Ring around the Rosie

Recently my daughter has been asking me to play this game over and over. Have you ever wondered why kids love to go round and round and even enjoy getting dizzy? I can go round and round for 2-3 turns at the most and my head is swimming by the time I fall down and I have to sit there awhile to recover while she says “let’s do again”. My son who is 4 years older than his sister will be a great sport and do it with us when she begs him to. He is such a great big brother. Anyway, is there something about growing older that causes us to get dizzy easier and enjoy it less?
And speaking of the game Ring around the Rosie, how many of you have heard that this is really a reference to the plague? I was actually looking this up to get all the details right for this post when I came across this link which says that it is really an urban legend. I have used this site several times regarding other urban legends or old wives tales especially ones that you get in your email and I feel it can be trusted but who knows for sure. This link has all the details about this and is quite interesting and kinda makes you go...

4 Comments:

  • Yep. My understanding is that this is an urban legend... I do think Twister is a sublime reference to something, but I can't recall what...

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 1:47 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:13 PM  

  • I teach World History, and my students are very surprised by this fact. There's a great scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail on this one. ("Bring out your dead...")

    Another urban legend? The saying it's "raining cats and dogs" came about when animals used to hide in thatched roofs in the 1500's. When it rained, they couldn't hold on, hence the saying.

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:15 PM  

  • I've heard that song was referring to the plague but my comment is to AGREE about the dizzy thing. HELLO! I noticed the same thing about myself when my son was little. I also noticed I could no longer swing on a swing without feeling really "unbalanced". I think as we get older lots of physical stuff changes inside and out :(

    By Blogger Bar L., at 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home