User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Time heals all wounds

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Time heals all wounds

Haven't you heard this phrase before? I think this is true in some instances, but not always the case. Something I am going through right now shows the truth of time healing a wound at least for this occurrence. I just got this nasty gash on my shin a week ago and it is just now almost totally healed! You are probably saying "wait a minute, isn't this phrase talking about emotional wounds where you get your feelings hurt?" Yes, I suppose it is usually used in this way, but I think it has more truth with physical wounds. I got this scrape when I was taking my family to the airport after their visit. I opened the lift gate in back of our van and the luggage had shifted and a piece fell out right on my leg. I sure could have used one of those warnings they give you on planes about being careful opening the overhead compartments because the luggage can shift during a flight. Or would I have just ignored it like most people do when the flight attendants give those messages? Anyway, the piece of luggage was one that has the roller assembly and the hard plastic targeted my shin bone and left a huge scrape and now an ugly bruise. Yesterday, I had that itchy feeling on the scab that you get when you can tell that a wound is healing. Now you are probably saying "nice, thanks for sharing". But isn't it awesome how God made our bodies! This was another reminder to give praise to God as our creator and the wonder of his work. I know it is a small example, but it is still amazing to see how our bodies can heal a wound over time.

What about those emotional wounds we get? I think time can help heal in some ways and in some instances, but again I think it is more a work of God that is required to truly heal us when someone has hurt us. It is so difficult in our human nature to forgive someone and/or to not let something mean someone said hurt us or affect us deeply. With God's power through the Holy Spirit we can. What are your thoughts? Topic for discussion: Can time heal all wounds? Discuss. Talk among yourselfs.

3 Comments:

  • Yes. Time, prayer, choosing to forgive... There might always be a scar. Sometimes there will surely be a scar. But there can be healing. Psalm 51 is the best poetic example I can think of to see what healing looks like.

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 3:29 PM  

  • I believe that time heals wounds, but often scars are left as reminders of what caused the wound in the first place. Even scars fade with time but are never really gone.

    Jesus even had scars as a reminder...

    By Blogger Bar L., at 6:40 PM  

  • It depends on what goes on subsequent to the wound. If it is left unattended it festers and infects everything else around it. If it is scraped and cleaned (which might hurt worse than the wound, initially) it is going to heal better. When we are wounded sometimes we have to do a little painful wound cleaning before we can fully heal.

    Thanks for this great post.

    By Blogger Travis Crow, at 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home