User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Longest day of the year

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Longest day of the year

Today is the first day of summer and the longest day of the year. Whaaaat!? Tell this to a young child (or someone who is basically clueless) and that may be the response you get followed by "I thought it was already summer, the kids are all out of school and it is already hot", and "longest day, I thought every day was the same length of time". Here is a link that can help you explain exactly what you mean. Of course the day is the same amount of time as any other day, but you do have more time from sun up to sun down than any other day.

So do you do anything different being that you have more daylight? Do you take advantage of having more sunlight to get more things done? Some might try to get a project done outside that they have been putting off like putting another coat of water seal on the deck. OK this is something I need to do, but I think it looks ok and I think I will just put it off one more year. Besides I would rather do something fun and/or relaxing like we did yesterday when we set up the slip and slide. The kids had a blast and then we were still able to relax watching the sunset after putting them in bed. Anyway, I put in my time a few years ago with building a retaining wall, putting in rock all around the house, etc. (so I'm not totally lazy). On occasion, I will take advantage of having more sunlight after work to get in a full 18 holes of golf, it can get a little tough on the last few holes to still be able to see your ball as the sun goes down. This is usually a great time as the course is not too crowded usually and I can enjoy playing with a friend or taking my son for a special day. Notice I said on occasion, due to the high prices and lack of funds not to mention the amount of time it takes away from home these occasions are quite rare. I do sometimes take advantage of more daylight to get the lawn mowed after work instead of having to wait until Saturday. So how are you going to spend your days of summer with the extra long days?

2 Comments:

  • Me and the missus usually sit on our patio and decompress. When it gets dark, we head inside. So, the extra daylight gives us more time to ourselves. (Unless interrupted by rowdy teenagers)

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:34 AM  

  • My days of summer so far have been spent helping my oldest sone get ready for Basketball tryouts, and baseball in high school. We work out daily, and then myslef and both boys go to the pool to just have some fun.

    VBS is another thing my boys are doing. If you have children I encourage you to get them involved in Vacation Bible School! They will love it!

    Blessings

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home