User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Don't wish your life away

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Don't wish your life away

Did you ever wish that you were older when you were a kid for whatever reason? This may especially be true for kids with older siblings. For example, “I wish I were older like (older brother/sister) so I could stay up late too. Or, I wish I was old enough to drive, or go somewhere by myself, etc. Often when that topic would come up, someone older and wiser would say "don't wish your life away kid". I loved a post and comments by not1jot talking about youth being wasted on the young. Enjoy the moments when you have them, don't wish them away. I was going to write some more deep philosophical thoughts regarding this, but I am having a hard time putting them into words so I will let you readers do that in your comments since so many of you are better at that than I am.
Somewhat related is this same attitude that we as parents have sometimes when our children may be going through a particularly rough time. We wish that they were grown up a little more so they wouldn't act the way they do or wouldn't require so much of our attention etc. I write this as our daughter is passing a milestone in her life, she is actually going potty and she wore big girl underwear yesterday and stayed dry the whole day. Don't worry, I'm not going to start another series of potty posts. : ) We are so proud of her, and it is hard to believe that our little girl is growing up. We as parents also need to enjoy the moments God gives us with our children and not wish they were older because it does go by so fast.

4 Comments:

  • The only time I wished I was older is when I got into trouble. My thoughts were something like' "I can hardly wait to leave this place with all the stupid rules they have."

    Well, when I was old enough to move, something strange happened. I missed the people who made all those rules.

    By Blogger Fred, at 10:13 AM  

  • All of my "boy i wish i was..." have no turned into my "Thank God I never..."


    God has my back!

    By Blogger steve, at 3:42 PM  

  • Great post! It's a god reminder to make the most of where I am right now. Tomorrow will come tomorrow, I can deal with it then! :)

    You post also reminded me of a wonderful song I heard recently called "Let them be little" by Lonestar. Here's the chorus:

    So let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while / Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day / Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle / Oh just let them be little

    By Blogger Hillary, at 7:28 PM  

  • Wellll--being a Senior citizen at 71 years of age--I could tell you plenty. Just not enough room to tell it all. I'm so thankful our Lord helped my husband and I raise 5 children, whom have married Christian spouces and now raising their children to become a born again Christian. Some now and some in the near future. Life has so many blessings. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home