User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Practice Makes Perfect

Things that make you go hmmm.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Practice Makes Perfect

OK, maybe not perfect because if practice makes perfect and we know no one is perfect why should we bother practicing? Seriously, when you practice something or do something over and over again you do get better at it. I thought of this yesterday when I had to pray in front of the church for maybe the 5th or 6th time over the past few years. I get extremely nervous when I have to get in front of a large group of people and my voice starts to tremble and it is all together not a pleasant experience. The first time I had to do this, I worried about what to pray wanting to make sure I didn't forget anything and just getting nervous thinking about it. The day before, I realized that I need to not worry about what to say or get nervous because I need to just talk to God like a conversation as I do in my personal prayers and not worry about the crowd or what they think. I think this helped me especially having the words to say, but I still got very nervous and my voice was quivering. Anyway, yesterday I didn't worry about it quite as much and I don't think my voice trembled as much and I felt like the Holy Spirit was helping me pray the right words. I still got nervous, but it wasn't as big of a deal. I also have seen this in my teaching Sunday School. Whaaaat!? You teach SS when you don't like talking in front of a crowd. Exactly. I hated it for quite awhile and really didn't do very good at it. But it is actually a small class (never over a dozen people) so it's not that big of a crowd. And now after several years of teaching every Sunday, I really don't get nervous (unless we have several visitors) and I think my personal inhibitions don't hinder the lesson. Although, maybe that's why it is still a small class. Hmmm. : )
So what about you, do you have any examples of things that you feared or didn't want to do or struggled with that after you did it several times it wasn't as big of a deal or you got better at?

Speaking of practice, have you ever wondered why doctors call what they do practice? Hmmm, isn't that a little unnerving? Shouldn't they be good at it by now?
And speaking of doing things again and again, have you ever wondered before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

2 Comments:

  • I get VERY nervous speaking in front of groups too (or praying).

    Yes, it is a scarey thought that doctors "practice" medicine!

    By Blogger Bar L., at 7:32 PM  

  • Yes, it is unnerving to talk or pray in front of people. In my Sunday School Adult class, our outreach leader only calls on one or two ladies to lead in prayer. For a while she called on me, and I finally told her it made me nervous, so now she hardly ever calls on me. I know that we should be about talking to God and not worrying so much about oursleves. If you ask others, most everyone feels this way. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home