User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Ice Cut

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Ice Cut

Have you ever cut yourself on a piece of ice? I did this past weekend defrosting an old freezer. Some friends of ours gave us this ancient appliance a couple of years ago. We have it out in our garage and have only used it to hold a few things, but recently we haven’t had much in there. During the summer months, it seems to work extra hard and is probably costing us quite a bit on our utility bill, so we decided to unplug it and may plug it back in during the cooler months. Anyway, back to the ice cut (are you still with me after that unnecessary explanation about the freezer?). While pulling out big chunks of ice, I was wondering what these little red spots were that I kept seeing on the ice every once in awhile. I didn’t realize I had punctured my finger on a sharp piece of ice. I didn’t know ice would do that.

The wound is on the tip of my finger and is bad enough that I need to wear a band-aid, which brings up another interesting question. When you have a boo-boo on your hand, do you take extra effort to not get it wet every time you wash your hands? Or do you just wash it like usual and replace the bandage all the time?

And another observation, isn't it cool when a scrape on your finger heals and you still have the same fingerprint. When does this not happen? Does it depend on how deep a cut you get. Hmmm. I have a big scar from an unsuccessful surgery (a long story for another day) on my ring finger that has changed my fingerprint. Now I have a big Z cut into my fingerprint.

I have also been putting hydrogen peroxide on my ice cut to clean it and keep away any infection. Who was it that came up with this, and what did they think after they put it on their wound? Wow that sure did sting, but it is so cool to watch it bubble up. I guess it is worth the sting to keep away the infection which would hurt much worse.

One final question, have you ever wondered if you melt dry ice, can you take a bath without getting wet?

7 Comments:

  • As a matter of fact I have. Wondered, that is.

    Where in the PNW do you live? I used to live in Tacoma, Washington. Is that close?

    Enjoy your posts and have added a link to your site from mine (hope that's OK with you.

    In His Name,
    Joe

    By Blogger Joe, at 10:21 AM  

  • Thanks Joe. I went to your site too and thoroughly enjoyed reading it so I linked you on mine too. Your posts about your hospital stay and your wife saving you money were hilarious. We live on the other side of the mountains from Tacoma in the desert, yes the PNW has areas of desert for those who don't know.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 11:17 AM  

  • Fear not...I check all of my links every day. Take care of the finger.
    In His Name
    Joe

    By Blogger Joe, at 12:20 PM  

  • Thanks fos stoppin by my site. I am also a fellow PNW'er and God Rocker.

    God bless and have a great day!

    By Blogger steve, at 12:42 PM  

  • Great post. Sorry to disappoint you, though. I've never cut myself on a piece of ice.

    By Blogger Fred, at 6:33 PM  

  • Ohhh, my, another funny one. You can also put salt in that wound and it will help the blood to clot and heal. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

  • I came across this after possibly cutting my finger on ice.

    I gave it a dab of dettol, tried it with a clean paper towel, and then sprayed it with a spray bandage. They're super useful for little finger cuts where any bandaid wouldnt fit or be right.

    Highly recommended for you next time.

    By Blogger Cody, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home