User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Dead and Buried... on a Golf Course

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Dead and Buried... on a Golf Course

I know that there are several who love to play golf so much that they play every opportunity that they get, others are retired and can play almost every day (like my dad), and then there are others of us that love to play but can only get out every once in awhile due to a variety of circumstances like lack of funds and having little ones at home. Yes, there are plenty of us who love the game where you go on nature walks while chasing little white balls into holes. But how many of us would really want to have our remains buried in the rough next to the 10th fairway? OK, there are probably plenty of diehards (pun intended) who would love to be finishing a round of golf when they actually keel over and probably would think it a great thing to be buried somewhere on the course. But this doesn't actually happen, does it? Well, in a way it has on one of the local courses that I play. I actually got to play this past Friday on the course pictured after work with a couple of friends thanks to my wife who was willing to go it alone for a few more hours by herself with the kids and the fact that it was twilight rates which made it a little more affordable. While teeing off on #10, I was reminded of this oddity about this course and thought how appropriate it is for this blog, for on the other side of the rough is an area of grass about 30 yards square surrounded by a cast iron fence. I had seen this area for several rounds and I assumed it must be where they grow grass that they can use to transplant for ground under repair somewhere. One day I found out that it was actually a protected area because it was thought that it may be an old indian burial ground, or at least where one poor indian met his demise. I guess when they were constucting this golf course, they found a few bones and they possibly may have been human and possibly could have been from an indian so the golf course agreed I guess with the local tribe to not disturb the area any further and to fence this area off. So I guess an indian (or a few of his bones anyway) actually has what I'm sure many golf fanatics dream of, to die and be buried on a golf course.

11 Comments:

  • I'm surprised the golf course was even built. Many times, if something like that is found, they excavate a wide swath around the find.

    I love golf, but don’t play during the summer here in Florida. I wait until it cools down a bit, and then I play as often as I can.

    You didn’t tell us. How’d you play?

    By Blogger Fred, at 10:15 AM  

  • Yes, I don't know all the details but I suspect that there wasn't really much evidence that this was a real indian bone and I think they both agreed to this as an easy solution.
    I didn't play very good. I was even on the front 9 and -1 on the back. That is, an even 50 on the front par 37 and one under bogey on the back for a 43 on the par 35 so a 93 which is a pretty typical day for this occasional hacker. But hey it's not all about the score.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 11:08 AM  

  • I played in the rain last monday... i cant help it... I love the game

    By Blogger steve, at 2:17 PM  

  • What is it with men and golf?

    By Blogger Bar L., at 7:10 PM  

  • Whaaaat,
    I play golf with three guys from church. We have a trophy we built ourselves. It is a metal bucket filled with concrete and int the concrete is a broken 6 iron and some tees and a few golf balls. The whole thing is painted gold. The guy with the highest score out of the four of us gets to keep the trophy until the next time we play. We also bought the ugliest golf inspired tie, the loser also has to wear it to church to Sunday after our round. I did not play well this weekend but I did not get the trpohey either.
    Joe

    By Blogger JOE B, at 8:02 PM  

  • Can a person call himself "Christian" and still play golf? (II Hezekiah 4:12)

    By Blogger Joe, at 3:58 AM  

  • I also love golf and, like Fred, I'm surprised this course was finished. Glad you got to play. Looks beautiful.

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 5:33 AM  

  • 93 isn't all that bad for a hacker. If I break 90, it's a round to remember!

    By Blogger Fred, at 7:21 AM  

  • Thanks for coming by my blog! I came by to say "hello". I know nothing about golf, so I won't comment on that. I did notice that we have the same blogger template, and I used to have the same car that you mentioned on a previous blog. The Heather Mist Metallic one. I'll be back!

    By Blogger Amstaff Mom, at 8:19 AM  

  • steve-Neither rain, sleet, snow nor gloom of night stays these "golfers" from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. OK this is already used by postal carriers but it is their "unofficial" motto.
    well woman-I think it has something to do with the women in our lives and their love for shopping.???
    To the wife-I'm just joking sweetheart, I don't mean you.
    joe b-sounds like you guys have a lot of fun the way golf should be played. Plenty of incentive to not lose the round too.
    joe-OK you got me, what is II Hezekiah 4:12?
    danny-this course is nice and of course the picture makes it look even more inviting.
    fred-yes I had a pretty good round, I only had one triple bogey and I only threw my club once...whaaaat!? That's not very Christlike behavior. Maybe that is what II Hezekiah 4:12 speaks about.
    : )

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 8:22 AM  

  • All very interesting. Some have told me why my retired husband now plays golf about 20 hours a week. Yes,it seems to take these goofey golfers about 5 hours each day. Of course there are close to 15 playing each day. Anyway, when this husband worked 9 to 10 hours 5 days a week, and I, his wife enjoyed shopping, tea parties, etc.he is finally enjoying his tee time. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home