User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: The Bible says "Be Angry"

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Bible says "Be Angry"


In studying for my Sunday School lesson, I read a verse that made me go hmmm. In Ephesians 4:26-27, it says "Be angry and do not sin. Don't let the sun go down on your anger, and don't give the Devil an opportunity". Whaaaat!!! Yes, it says "be angry". Anger is a natural emotion that God has created us with. Notice how Paul quickly follows it with "and do not sin". Although it is ok to be angry, it can quickly take hold and lead us to sin. So anger must not last long as we shouldn't let it last until the next day (don't let the sun go down on your anger) which is probably the more well-known part of this verse. If you continue being angry too long or you don't control your anger Satan can use it as an opportunity to lead us astray. So go ahead and be angry, the Bible says it is ok. : )

6 Comments:

  • See...if you had read it in the King James version you would have known that it was an early form of teen age rebellion.

    Be angry and sin....not.

    By Blogger Joe, at 12:31 PM  

  • Heyyy, are you blogging again. I've been missing out if you have. Loved your comments on anger. You must be a preacher. Right? Thanks. DC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 AM  

  • Hey - you're back! Great to see you blogging again; I'll start visiting more regularly.

    By Blogger Fred, at 8:48 AM  

  • Good one, Joe.

    Think about this: when was the last time you (everyone reading this) were angry but were not sinfully angry?

    I don't think I've ever been righteously angry. Oh, yes, I have been able to rationalize that I was angry because someone was being mistreated or falsely accused or was committing sin, but I can't say my reaction was because it offended the Holy One. I think the anger has always been an attack on my pride somewhere, and if I say otherwise, then I'm probably deceived. Christ was the only Holy One and therefore the only one capable of holy anger, of being angry and not sinning simultaneously. I'll look at the verse more closely now, but I think it means, "if you can be angry and not sin, go ahead." It shows me one more reason I need the Holy Spirit--for self-control!

    By Blogger Zoanna, at 10:18 PM  

  • The bible is telling you that it is ok to be angry , but do not sin in that time , because we say and do alot of things in anger!!!! it is wriiten in a time when they talked a little different then now..... don't interpret it the way you are open your mind a little!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

  • Interesting article. Go check out an article - What is the Bible's perspective on anger to see it from another perspective.

    By Anonymous Peter, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home