User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Good and eeeevil

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Good and eeeevil

My wife told me a long time ago that the sounds of me flossing my teeth really annoy her. I think this is just one of those idiosyncrasies of our spouses that we have to deal with. Or I should say that she will have to deal with because I don’t know how to floss any differently. Actually, I try to go somewhere else to floss so she won’t have to hear it. But, when she is nearby I am always conscious of the sounds of my flossing and try to not be so annoying. I was thinking the other day of how my wife’s comments about such a little thing had such a sub-conscious affect on me that I remember it most every day when I floss. This is just a silly illustration and hopefully gave you a laugh at my expense, but it made me think about the power we have with the words that we say. This can be power for good or for eeevil (it has more affect when you say it like this). What are some examples of using our words for good? The supreme example I guess would be sharing with someone about Jesus Christ. It is always good when we share about the love that He showed to us in dying on the cross to forgive our sins so that we could be reconciled and have a relationship with God and live eternally with Him. Also, we can do good with our words when we use them to encourage someone (see Ephesians 4:29). What are some examples of our words being used for eeevil? We can use our words for evil when we criticize others, or when we gossip, or slander, or just saying mean things, or when we use foul language (see James 3). Now sometimes it is necessary to be critical of others when it is done constructively with the intent to help someone for their own good (for example, to not be so annoying when flossing your teeth : ). So be careful of the words you say both verbally and written (ex. blog postings and comments) because they can be very powerful and you can’t take them back.

1 Comments:

  • I am in Christian radio.

    I cannot tell you how many times I have said stupid and/or hurtful things OVER THE AIR that the instant I said them I wished I could get them back.

    Happens in REAL life, too.

    I never even noticed a sound when I floss my teeth. Am I doing it wrong?

    Hmmmm.

    By Blogger Joe, at 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home