User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Coke, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop, Soft Drink?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Coke, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop, Soft Drink?

What are some words or phrases that you say that are different from other people you meet? It may depend on the area of the country you are from or it may just be simple things that you and your family made up. One of these that was obvious for me was when I met my wife. She was from the Pacific NW which is where we live now and I was from Texas. I used to call any kind of soft drink Coke as in “Let’s go get a Coke” or “Do want a Coke with dinner?” no matter if we were actually drinking Coke or not (which usually it was my choice for a soft drink). We would then clarify if we wanted some other “flavor”. My wife and others from this area as well as other areas of the country use the term “Pop” to refer to soft drinks which comes from soda pop. What do you call soft drinks? Do you have other examples?

2 Comments:

  • I am from the South. All carbonated beverages are coke. Not Coke, coke.

    You can have a Pepsi coke, a Dr. Pepper coke or any kind of coke you like.

    Pop is what one calls his dad.

    Soda is what you get at a those things we used to call "soda fountains" at a drugstore. You could have them with or without ice cream.

    By Blogger Joe, at 4:18 AM  

  • I'm from the Pacific NW. As a kid it was Coke. Then pop. Now I call it pop or soda.

    Or more specifically I'll ask for a Dew.

    The FDA has combined the Food Pyramid into just two categories:

    Carbonated Beverages & Crunchy Stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home