User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Riches and Beauty

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Riches and Beauty

Have you ever heard it said that the reason God doesn’t give some of us an abundance of material riches is because we couldn’t handle all that comes with it and continue serving God and not let the money take His place? My response is always “I’d like to have at least a few hundred thousand to give it a try”. : ) I heard on the radio the other day about a millionaire who seems to have his priorities straight. He has a hugely successful business and lives on 10% and gives the remaining 90% to God. Now wouldn’t that be awesome if all the millionaires handled their material blessings that way?

Do you think this principle might be true with good looks too? Think about it. How many gorgeous people do you know who are Christians? Can you think of that many really strong Christians who are great looking? And the few Christians who are great looking seem to have such a strong humble relationship with God that their looks don’t seem to be an issue. Vice-versa, aren’t some of the most beautiful people on the inside who love the Lord not really what the world would describe as knock-outs? OK, maybe this is a reach to try to stereotype this way, but I think the next time I catch myself wishing I had the huge mansion or complaining about my lack of hair, big nose, and my numerous other physical imperfections, I need to thank God that He provides for all my needs and has given me a wonderful wife who loves me even with all my deficiencies in the looks department and a joy that doesn’t come from these worldly areas in life. I should just be thankful that I am an average looking middle-class guy and that I don’t have to worry about adding these “burdens” to the list of things that might interfere with my relationship with the Lord.

7 Comments:

  • Ya, it's funny. We Christians tend to struggle with God's gifts! Isn't that funny? It seems I am also given stuff to help me grow. I only wanted 2 kids and got 3. I think that's God's way of saying, "Hey you need some work here!"

    My response is usually, "God, can you throw a few million my way, I need to learn some money management skills!" I'm sure that gets a big chuckle in Heaven.

    I did the Experiencing God study a few years ago and learned something valuable: Contentment is what God has given you right now. I pull that out when I want to go out and eat all the time, I tell myself, "You have plenty of food." And it works for some strange reason.

    "To Him who will give us immeasurably more than we ask or imagine." - Somewhere in Paul's books in the New Testament

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 AM  

  • I think we "ALL" could use an eye opening wake up call on priorities and money management skills.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:30 AM  

  • I think everything gets counterbalanced. When you're too beautiful, people tend to value you only for your looks and not your mind or heart. When you have a lot of money, people value you for what you can do for them, not who you are as a person.

    We tend to think whichever end of the spectrum we're on has it the worst.

    I always look at it this way - EVERY family is screwed up, but we put the fun in dysfunctional.

    By Blogger Heather, at 10:49 AM  

  • Hey! I am commenting on your site... lol.

    Some of us are good looking... lol. I keep 90% of my good looks and Tithe my 10% to the Lord.

    Of course I am kidding... I didn't miss your point either. :)

    lol.

    Great post...

    By Blogger Greg, at 2:30 PM  

  • Millionaire or not, it blesses God when we recognize that He is our provider. Even then, He prefers our obedience to our sacrifice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 AM  

  • Its not the mansions I crave, its the security welth is supposed to brign.

    I have to learn anew every day that God's security is beyond my wildest expectations of need.

    I'm a slow learner.

    By Blogger Joe, at 3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home