User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Urban Legends

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Urban Legends


With all the comments yesterday about the liger and whether it was real or not, I decided to do some checking and do a new post about it. I am usually pretty skeptical about things I get forwarded to me in emails, but I didn't even think twice about this one for some reason. I checked the urban legends authority website snopes.com and the pictures and the liger named Hercules is true. See this site for yourself. Here is another site at truthorfiction.com. I didn't even think about the connection with the scene from Napoleon Dynamite. No skills in magic were mentioned regarding this real liger though. As a matter of fact, when Shannon mentioned Napoleon in her first comment, I just thought she was being funny referring to my previous post of the oatmel packet trivia about the real Napoleon having ailurophobia, a fear of cats. Then when others mentioned the movie, I recalled the scene where he was drawing the picture. What's the deal with this movie anyway. We finally rented it to find out and I have to admit I don't really get it. I mean it is funny and there are some good lines, but I don't always relate things to it like some people do. GOSH! I think that people who do are a bunch of freakin' idiots! Yesssssssssssss. : ) For more trivia about the movie check this out on Wikipedia.
Anyway, regarding urban legends, why do some people start these. I can understand a rumor that is maybe about something that the facts just aren't straight. But, some of them are intentionally deceitful. For what purpose? Like the one a lady in our church forwarded to us the other day about Dr. James Dobson requesting Christians to take action against a petition sent to the FCC for banning the gospel or any mention of Jesus on the airwaves, etc. I have seen this one several times before and it is false. All that I can say about these people is that they are a bunch of freakin' idiots, GOSH! I guess they do whatever they feel like they wanna do.

5 Comments:

  • Now THAT'S a Napoleon Dynamite posting!

    By Blogger Amstaff Mom, at 1:03 PM  

  • My fav urban legend was that P&G (Proctor and Gamble) was run by a devil worshipper and all Christians were called to boycott the brand name. I worked at a camp at the time and the director actually read the email to the staff and encouraged them to not buy P&G products.

    Later he found out it was a hoax and laughed about it.

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:21 PM  

  • People start that tripe all of the time, mostly to satisfy their inability to make a mark on society any other way. There contiues to be a "Madeline Murray O'Hare petitions the Supreme Court to get Christian radio off the air," floating around, even though she's dead! The only petitioning she's doing these days is a "...dip your finger in the water, come and cool my tongue, 'cause I'm tormented in the flames" ditty.

    btw: The zoo to the south of us in Naples has a tiglon. For real. Not an urban ledgend...I promise.

    By Blogger Joe, at 1:28 PM  

  • Your mother goes to college.

    :)

    I love the movie. I saw it in the theatre last summer so many times... Had I bought Google stock instead I'd be wealthy. So now all I have is what I learned from three years of fighting in the Octogon. You think I got where I am by dressing like Peter Pan here?! Forget about it!

    I could do this all day...

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 2:46 PM  

  • Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    Just yesterday I think it was, a guy made a bogus all to the coast guard, saying his boat was capsizing. Dude, where's my boat? So dumb. He's in deep trouble, that's for sure.

    I think Joe's right about people wanting to make themselves known in some way.

    By Blogger Kim, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home