User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Youth camp

Things that make you go hmmm.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Youth camp

Do you have memories of going to camp when you were young? If you went to church youth camp, you may have had one or some of those "mountaintop experiences" where you learned something spiritually or your eyes were opened to some new truth that really touched you. I think I only went one year to our church's youth camp, but I do remember some different times in my youth group when I had "mountaintop experiences" like these. Maybe at a ski trip or some overnight thing. Our church's youth group just got back from a week long youth camp and they led the worship service last night. One of the neat parts of the service is where all of them sit on the stairs to the podium in front of the church and get to share something they learned from the week if they want to. It was neat to hear how God was working in their lives during the week and how they were learning fresh new spiritual truths. It also made me realize that we really need to pray for them during these years as they really are in the midst of facing the world and all the temptations and worldliness that can lure them away from Christ. It also made me remember the feelings of excitement when you finally get something that God helps you understand and apply to your life. These times that don't occur as often as they should as you get older and set in your ways etc. I need to ask God for that excitement and desire to learn more and to grow closer to Him. Hmmm, things you can learn from a high school youth.

7 Comments:

  • I do a lot with our youth group. A lot of the grown-ups like to go on the ski trips and what you might call the "fun trips" to help keep an eye on our youth. But I get so much more out of going to organized youth events. To watch these kids is sometimes just plain amazing. Don't get me worng the ski trips and funs things are great times. But people miss out when they have an chance to take the youth on a retreat or seminar. A lot of people say, "They are just kids." I hate to disagree, if they would just give them half a chance, they will show you so much more. You are right we need to pray for these guys, they are OUR future. They have it a lot worse than we ever did at their age. (At least I think they do.)
    God bless, Joe

    By Blogger JOE B, at 11:23 AM  

  • I love working with kids. I love it when you see the "fire" take hold...

    By Blogger steve, at 12:01 PM  

  • I was a Youth Director/Minister for 35 odd years, some odder than others. I have spent many whole summers leading boys and youth at camp. I have been short-sheeted, foamed, and every other indignity imaginable. But at camp I introduced more young men to Jesus than I ever have since. What a total blessing.

    By Blogger Joe, at 1:54 PM  

  • I've never gone camping in my 41 years of life.I guess my parents were old fashion,and raised me that way too.Joe's other half here.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:06 AM  

  • I use to work at Kanakuk Kamps (christian sports camp) and with a youth group for many years and I have both had the mountain top experiences (once on an actually mountain top) and seen kids have them. Unfortunatly I've also experienced the bottoming out effect when you get back in the 'real world' and seen kids go through the same things. It is hard to come off such a high and then get stuck in the lows but God is good to remind us of the highs and to use that so that we can deal with the lows of life. Good topic, I treasure my years at camp and in the youth group both as one of those kids and then as a leader to them.

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:08 PM  

  • I enjoy the posts when you share from personal experience. Can you tell us more about what the "mountaintop experiences" were that helped you finally get something the Lord was trying to teach you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 PM  

  • I was referring to times in my youth and if you recall I don't remember a whole lot of specifics. :) More just feelings of excitement and being closer to God.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home