User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: What's a Liger?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What's a Liger?


A really big cat. I got this in my email yesterday. This cat is huge!
This is what was said regarding this monstrous animal in the email forwarded to me:

Part lion, part tiger Hercules stands 10ft tall on his back legs. Called a liger, in reference to his crossbreed parentage, he is the largest of all the cat species. On a typical day he will devour 20lb of meat, usually beef or chicken, and is capable of eating 100lb at a single setting. At just three years old, he already weighs half a ton. He is the accidental result of two enormous big cats living close together at the Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species, in Miami, Florida, and already dwarfs both his parents. "Ligers are not something we planned on having," said institute owner Dr Bhagavan Antle. "We have lions and tigers living together in large enclosures and at first we had no idea how well one of the lion boys was getting along with a tiger girl, then lo and behold we had a liger." 50mph runner... Not only that, but he likes to swim, a feat unheard of among water-fearing lions. In the wild it is virtually impossible for lions and tigers to mate. Not only are they enemies likely to kill one another, but most lions are in Africa and most tigers in Asia. But incredible though he is, Hercules is not unique. Ligers have been bred in captivity, deliberately and accidentally, since shortly before World War II. Today there are believed to be a handful of ligers around the world and a similar number of tigons, the product of a tiger father and lion mother. Tigons are smaller than ligers and take on more physical characteristics of the tiger.

7 Comments:

  • T., I have to confess ... I'm a little disappointed that Napoleon didn't think up the liger himself. But I'm going to try to get over it.

    Hey! I just realized I haven't yet linked to you. So sorry! I will run and do that now.

    By Blogger shannon, at 9:56 AM  

  • And I thought MY cats were big...they're part Maine Coon, so they're rather large, for cats anyways... wonder if my hubby will let me get a liger? lol!

    By Blogger Cindy-Lou, at 12:31 PM  

  • Wow - unusual stuff. I have a 22-pound cat and I thought that was big!

    By Blogger Fred, at 12:52 PM  

  • All I can say is when you call, "Here kitty, kitty," to this beast,you'd better ready for some CAT.

    By Blogger Joe, at 2:12 PM  

  • this, THIS is interesting. i have never heard of a Liger. and thing - what else have i been missing out on my whole life?

    thank you for the introduction. must check back again.

    but, how can we be sure you're not yanking our chain? what if this is really just a mammoth female lion?

    that's what i want to know.

    By Blogger chirky, at 2:42 PM  

  • Jes, at first I read "mammoth female mountain lion" and I was thinking, "well, that WOULD be interesting. I need to read slower, evidently. I'm on dial-up at home (curses!) so I thought this was going to be a Napoleon Dynamite posting. I also think that the last picture looks like the real-life Garfield.

    By Blogger Amstaff Mom, at 4:09 PM  

  • That's crazy. Okay, now I'm curious about this Napoleon Dynamite movie. I'll have to rent it. lol

    By Blogger Kim, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home