User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: What's in a name?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What's in a name?

Whaaaat’s up with men’s nicknames. There are some that are very common that just don’t make sense. For instance, using Dick for Richard. Why not call him Rich or maybe even Rick, but not Dick. I’m sure those with that nickname would agree. Don't you love this pic (deleted) of our VP, Richard B. Cheyney? And how about calling Robert, Bob? Why not Rob? For Bob to be your nickname, wouldn’t your real name have to be Bobert? What about Chuck being a nickname for Charles or Charlie. How did they come up with that? And I was always confused with John F. Kennedy being nicknamed Jack. I guess I really don’t know Jack Kennedy. How about Bill for William, why not Will or Willy? And how did they come up with Hank for Henry? Well, I guess we can let this one go since calling him Hank Aaron sounds better than calling him by his real name. BTW-Did you know that in 1952, Hank Aaron played for a Negro League baseball team called the Indianapolis Clowns? Really, what's in a name? Can't you hear it in the stands, "these guys are playing like a bunch of clowns". Can you think of any other nicknames like this?

While on the subject of names, how about all of those androgynous names? Why do parents do this to their poor children? Why not pick names that are clearly male or female? Here is a quick list of ones I can think of, you list any more that come to mind.
Pat, Terry, Kelly, Tracy, Lee ;), Erin, Kerry, Taylor, Cameron, Adrian, Madison, Riley, Chris, Morgan, Jamie and Jordan.

15 Comments:

  • Very Fun Post! I've often wondered about the name thing too (especially Dick for Richard). I can't think of any to add at this point but these days names are so bizarre anyhow! Here are some I know of or have heard out in public lately: Phoenix, Sequoia, Armani, Kye. How would you liked to be named Phoenix if you were a cute little girl? Not me.

    Then there is the whole celebrity name thing....will you do something on that???? You can start with Demi Moore's kids if you need material :)

    By Blogger Bar L., at 11:43 AM  

  • I didn't read the post, but I am leaving a comment!

    By Blogger Eddo, at 12:00 PM  

  • Ben was here.

    By Blogger Greg, at 12:35 PM  

  • Well Woman, thanks for the comment. I will have to do some research for the celebrity names, not too up on that scene. My wife's uncle's stepson named their daughter Phoenix... or maybe it was Arizona, I can't remember... strange name anyway but she was a cute little girl. As you can tell it has been a long time since I saw her.
    Thanks for the sympathy comment eddo!

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 12:42 PM  

  • And thanks to Ben for sharing the love too.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 12:43 PM  

  • interesting. do you ever get to that point in the day when your brain just HURTS? like, any more information and it will explode?

    i'm there.

    By Blogger chirky, at 12:50 PM  

  • Ok this is a pitty comment but I wanted to pay you back quickly for all your commenting on my site, even though you were trying to hijack some of my commenters

    Ok I'll read and comment again in a second

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:07 PM  

  • Ok. I will leave my comment so you know that I care.

    Im with jes. Blogging has taken its toll today

    By Blogger steve, at 1:08 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

  • OMW - I have the hardest time with androgynous names? I work at a school and half the time we can't tell if it is a boy or girl by most the names. What's worse is we have boys and girls with the same name so we have to say the girl corey or the boy cory, or what not. Crazy world. I'm glad my name is safely feminine and the names I like for children are all gender specific.

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:17 PM  

  • Oh my, I now have 10 comments (OK only 8 since 2 were mine). You are all so kind.
    Muahhhahahahahaha! My self-serving plot to get others to come to my site worked (in a very small way).
    But I humbly admit that I will never match the record set on this day at K-pinion.
    Seriously, thanks! Oh what fun it is to blog.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 1:35 PM  

  • There is a young lady one my co-ed softball team named Jonell everyone calls her Jo. It gets a little confusing sometimes.
    I am with Well Woman, you need to do something about celebirties naming their kids.
    Cool post.
    Joe

    By Blogger JOE B, at 6:39 PM  

  • And you get Peggy from Margaret how? Peggy should come from Pegasus.

    And the nick-name for Androgynous would be Andy, right?

    By Blogger Joe, at 4:11 AM  

  • My grandpa's name is William. Everyone calls him Bill. And he had a brother named Billy! Seems "William (Bill)" and "Billy" weren't the same to my great-grandparents. They saw them as distinctly two different names.

    -Jim <><

    By Blogger ftwskies, at 10:01 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home