User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Must Hate Dogs

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Must Hate Dogs

Whaaaat! How can you say that about man’s best friend? I really was just using the opposite title of the movie that is coming out called “Must Love Dogs” for this post. I say that, but really I don’t like dogs too much, especially lately. And it’s not just dogs; I’m not really fond of cats either. Let me explain my reasoning before the majority of you get all hot under the dog collar. My son has tested to be highly allergic to dogs and cats. More specifically their dander I guess. He had a high reaction when the allergy doctor tested him. Of course, he had even worse reactions to grass and weeds but dog and esp. cat were way up there too. I read on my brother’s blog awhile back about a product that is one of his favorite things called dog repel or something like that. He liked it because it keeps other dogs off his property and I guess away from their own dogs. I laughed and commented that it sounds like a great product to apply to my son to keep the dogs away. Both my kids are also extremely scared of dogs. For my son, his fear most likely stems from two encounters he had that were horrifying for him. When he was like 2 or 3, our neighbor’s German Shepherd was outside in the front lawn and when my son opened the door it was right in front of him and started barking. The second encounter was with a little yippy excuse for a dog that some other neighbors have that likes to jump up on you and pushes little kids down and actually bit our son on the ankle. Now any time we go for a walk or see a dog somewhere, he gets very nervous and wants to run away. I can’t blame him. I’m not sure why my daughter seems so scared of them too, maybe just because of her brother’s reaction and she is still very young. Just yesterday, she was in our neighbor’s house with my wife when the German Shepherd all of a sudden appeared out of nowhere and she let out a high-pitched scream like she does so well. I think the dog didn’t know whether to come since her scream is so high-pitched or run away. He chose the latter, but the neighbor’s husband and daughter both came running wondering what was wrong.

And now my reasoning for not being fond of cats…well I don’t really have any good reasons; I just don’t really like them. Maybe it is all their hair that gets all over you and how they usually just sit around all day. As you can tell I am not a big pet lover. I cringe when I hear of people who care for their pets more than they would other things and spend huge amounts of money on them. To each their own I guess. I feel sorry for my kids since they may not get to have the good experiences from having a dog for a pet. We may end up getting some other type of pet for them some day. I hear Beta fish are nice. They don’t bite and no allergy problems and probably don’t eat very much and are easy enough to take care of and if they die, just flush and replace.

7 Comments:

  • I love dogs. Can't imagine giving mine up for allergies. But I now how the allergy thing goes.

    Betas are nice. one in a ten gallon tank and you never have to do anything. Setting up the tank takes about a week, but other than that you're good. Pop me an email and I'll get you started cheap.

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

  • Have you tried birds? Parrots are supposed to be smarter than dolphins.

    By Blogger Lone Ranger, at 1:37 PM  

  • I am a dog guy all the way. Not little "yippper" dogs though... Cats are an animal I just dont like... nothing personal to cat people

    By Blogger steve, at 3:04 PM  

  • We have two miniature shcnauzers. great dogs, plus no shedding. I wonder if your son would be alergic to them?

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 8:41 PM  

  • Whaaat,
    I love cats...they taste like chicken. For all you people reading this, it was just a joke. I hope you son is doing well.
    God bless, Joe

    By Blogger JOE B, at 11:02 PM  

  • You have no idea how much trouble you can get into writing about pets.

    Didn't you know that dogs are people, too. So are cats.

    Why the way some people see it, if a killer were to give them a choice between shooting their child or shooting their pet, they would have a hard time deciding.

    And when you visit their house, you should allow their dog/cat crawl all over you, lick your face, rub themselves on you and even bite you if it wants to. And you should LOVE it, like it or not.

    I have a dog, a pug. He's cool. But he is a dog. Period.

    I am HIGHLY alergic to cats. My face turns purple when I'm around cats. It is quite a sight. Plus, I totally lose it sinusically (Ooo...new word!)

    Good post, you brave person!

    By Blogger Joe, at 4:12 AM  

  • Yep, feel the same way. Why spend money on pets when one cannot save money for children's college fund etc. Such a waste.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home