User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Things you can learn from a packet of instant oatmeal # 2

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Things you can learn from a packet of instant oatmeal # 2

Did you know that travelers to La Paz, Bolivia often become ill the moment they arrive in the city. La Paz is 11,900 feet above sea level and is the highest metropolis in the world.
Added notes from wikipedia: The population of this city is about one million, La Paz is situated in the Andes mountains and atop a nearby plateau is the city of El Alto, where the international airport is located. La Paz is the largest city in Bolivia and is the administrative capital.
So, this is a major city and I'm sure has a lot of visitors that have to get acclimated to the thin air.

While we are in South America, did you know that a bridge built in Lima, Peru in 1610 was made of mortar that was mixed not with water but with the whites of 10,000 eggs. Called the Bridge of Eggs, it is still standing.

4 Comments:

  • I lived in Brazil when I was young (1,000 years ago). I never made it to Bolivia. When I go (if I ever do) it will probably NOT be to La Paz.

    By Blogger Joe, at 5:18 PM  

  • I would not do well in La Paz since I get altiudte sickness going to Big Bear (local mountains near me).

    I really like your oatmeal trivia.

    By Blogger Bar L., at 7:00 PM  

  • That's a lot of eggs!!

    By Blogger Fred, at 8:15 AM  

  • We have a church group coming back from Brazil tomorrow. They went to do missions. Another church group leaves in a few days also doing missions. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home