User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Tumblin' Tumbleweeds

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tumblin' Tumbleweeds

We have been having some pretty high winds recently and where we live there is an abundance of tumbleweeds that always gather along our fence. This picture isn't of our fence, just a typical example of a tumbleweed caught in a fence. We actually have a "traditional" cedar wood fence, but I made the mistake of placing our fence line further back than our neighbors on both sides, so invariably all the tumbleweeds end up on our property.

What would you do with this excess of dried up moving vegetation? I'm not talking about a few like the one in the picture. I'm talking about 20 that size and about 20 that are 2 to 3 times that big. You are allowed to burn tumbleweeds that blow onto your property, but we live in a neighborhood and no real place to do this on our lot. There are way too many to fill up our trash can (one of the bigger ones would be all I could stuff in there).

So what do you do, you ask. Well, a larger street runs behind our back yard and I usually end up throwing all of them over the fence I'm sure to end up down the road to get stuck in somebody else's fence. I know that sounds bad, but what would you do? Actually, they will most likely end up in an open field down the way or up against a farmer's fence both of which I figure the owners are more capable of handling than we are. Hey, where would they end up if our house and fence weren't there to catch them. So really I am just freeing them up to continue on their tumbling journey. However, they could end up hitting a car or get blown into our neighbors' yards. And if there is no wind for awhile after I throw them over, they could just sit there behind our house along the road which is a real eye-sore. I actually heard a coworker say that when he had this trouble he loaded them into the back of his pickup and drove around until they all emptied out. Sure wouldn't want to pull up behind him. Now that sounds worse than tossing them over the fence, doesn't it? Besides, I don't have a pickup. : ) This overload of wind blown dead flora can do some damage too. Awhile back, my work had to repair a section of chainlink fence that was knocked over due to an overabundance of these rolling nuisances. So, I'm sure after work I had better get out and starting tossing before my fence is pushed over.

2 Comments:

  • Ohhhh boy, what a dilema. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Around here is a fire ban since we are sooo dry. Fires starting every where, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. So we certainly wouldn't burn them unless in a metal container and then sparks might also be a danger. We've had so much wind that our 24 year old fences are blowing over. Our 82 year old neighbor fixed two posts of our side of fence, but the other side says she is strapped for money. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • Is your part of the US having lots of rain? Wish you could send it to the South. Getting desperate down here. dc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home