User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Are you ready for some football?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Are you ready for some football?


Monday, I got to leave work early to pick up my son from school. He didn't ride the bus home because he had chess club after school. This is amazing in itself as there are like 70 kids in his elementary school chess club that meets every other week. Anyway, on the way home I had the radio tuned to the ESPN sports talk station and they were talking about the Seattle Seahawks and the upcoming game. My son recognized the names Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander who are injured and wouldn't be playing. He couldn't remember what position Matt Hasselbeck played. I told him quarterback and he said something like "that's one of the most important players on the team right?" and "that's the guy who takes the ball and kicks it..." I tried to explain the position to him and he made another comment that indicated that he really didn't know much about the game. I decided at that point that he and I needed to sit down that night and watch Monday Night Football. He watched and was interested for a few plays, but then he lost interest and was tired and had to go to bed. So what age do most kids start to want to watch sports on TV? I have to admit, I hope that his interest in sports increases and I wouldn't mind his interest in chess club waning a bit over the years.

2 Comments:

  • My daughter is 3 and will watch as much as her attention will stand with me. She always likes "the white team". I tell her we like the team with the star on the helmet and that covers most of our professional helmet teams in the DFW area. She'll watch baseball but has no clue.

    I think kids learn more about it if they play it. My stepson is 9 and has never played football but loves the playstation versions of basketball and football. I figure he's learning that way.

    Leagues are good to learn, but an introductory league like the YMCA is a great place to start to learn.

    I learned by playing in the big field beside our house every day during the fall and spring. Spring was for football.

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

  • I meant spring was for baseball.

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home