User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: What are the chances?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, October 27, 2006

What are the chances?

The other day I went off to the grocery store to buy a few necessities. As often is the case, my daughter wanted to go with me. I usually don’t mind and it gives my wife the opportunity to get things done or to just enjoy a break from having to care for one of our two children. Before we left, I got my wallet and cell phone and the list of 6 things that I had to get (the cell phone is always an absolute requirement in order to verify that I am getting the exact 6 items that are desired). My girl wanted to put on her necklace, bracelet, ring, and her “clip-clop” shoes. I convinced her to just put on tennis shoes instead of the dress shoes with heels which she calls “clip-clop” shoes because of the sound they make on a hard floor when she wears them. My wife gave in on her wearing the jewelry with the condition that I periodically check to make sure she still has them on.

Having just turned 4, my little girl is not yet the best at being responsible with keeping track of her things herself. Of course I forgot about the condition to check until we got home and we discover that our daughter doesn’t have the ring on her finger. After going back and forth laying the blame (for not checking periodically or at all, and for not letting her wear it in the first place) and after checking everywhere in the car and at home, I decided to go back to the store to retrace our steps to see if I could find it.

What do you think are the chances that I would find this little ring? As I was driving, I was thinking my chances were pretty slim, but I could see if anyone had turned it in or leave my name and phone number in case someone did eventually. When I got to the store parking lot, I parked in the space next to where we had parked and looked all over the pavement. Nothing. While we shopped, we used one of the neat new carts that has a little kid car in front and I was disappointed to not see it in the cart return area where I left it. So I walked to the front doors of the store while staring at the ground to see if it happened to be there. Nothing. Then I noticed 3 of the special kids carts lined up by the front door. I checked in the first one, nothing. I checked in the second one, nothing. Then I had to squeeze between some other regular carts to check in the third one. I bent over and lifted up the little seat belt and there was the little pink ring!!! Can you believe it? It must have fallen off in the seat and never fallen out and it was still there. Now how often does something like that happen?

2 Comments:

  • One in a million. I hope you felt lucky enough to play the lottery - you might have won.

    By Blogger Fred, at 5:57 PM  

  • wow that is amazing! Glad you found it, I am sure your little girl was so happy you did!

    By Blogger Live, Love, Laugh, at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home