User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Roly-poly to me, how about you?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Roly-poly to me, how about you?

What do you call this common bug? I always called them roly-polys growing up in Texas. My wife calls them pill bugs growing up in the Pacific NW. I was surprised to find out that they are listed on Wikipedia here as woodlice and that they are crustaceans. Hmmm. Other common names for woodlice include: armadillo bug, cheeselog, doodlebug, monkeypea, pill bug, roly-poly, potato bug, roll up bug, slater, and sow bug. Some of these sound good, maybe I will change what I call them. Check out their giant aquatic cousin, the Giant isopod here. Ahhh. I don't think I will be sticking out my finger to let that thing crawl on me or to watch it roll up.

1 Comments:

  • Ya, we called them roly-poly's too.

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home