User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Japanese R for L

Things that make you go hmmm.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Japanese R for L


Have you ever thought it was funny how Japanese pronounce English words that have "L" in them with an "R" sound. I just found out the reason for this is because there is no letter "L" in Japanese. In the Japanese language, they use "R" instead of "L". There are also no letters C, Q, and X in Japanese. K is used instead of C; K followed by a vowel is used instead of Q; and E - KU - SU is used instead of X. Also, B is often used instead of V, but this one can vary.

I found out about there not being an "L" in Japanese this past week. My wife's brother lives in Japan. He went there to work for a company that teaches English to Japanese. He met, fell in love with, and married a wonderful Japanese lady. They now have a beautiful baby girl and they were here visiting last week. We had a great time with them. They met when she wanted to learn English and he was her teacher. Now she speaks very well and understands almost everything we say to her. I wish I could say the same for us. We should really try to learn to speak some Japanese. Maybe the next time they visit.

4 Comments:

  • Time for you guys to move to Japan. That'll do the trick. :)

    When I lived in Paris, I went to a one-month immersion program (two weeks vacation, two weeks work) and really came out knowing the langauge with a strong start.

    Alas, now that I'm back for five years, I'm sure I'd have to start all over again.

    By Blogger Fred, at 3:47 PM  

  • So Japanese is a Christmas language?

    (The angels said, "no 'L'")

    Ooo...sorry!

    By Blogger Joe, at 5:48 AM  

  • Hmmm...

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 6:49 AM  

  • It appears that we in America are going to need to learn Spanish more than any other language.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home