User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Kid's Play Revisited

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Kid's Play Revisited

In light of my last post regarding a parent's responsibility to watch their children in order to keep them safe while playing, we had an incident occur last night that goes right along with that topic. My son fell while riding his bike and tore a gash in his chin. Both my wife and I were out watching him ride his bike up and down the street and our daughter as she rode her scooter. We rushed over and helped him into the house and thought it may not be too bad as it didn't bleed too much, but looking closer we decided we better take him to the ER. Sure enough, it was pretty bad and he needed about 10 stiches with 5 internal ones to "push back in" the exposed area and 5 on the outside to seal it up. He was a real trooper and did great and even the doctor commented on how mature he was in handling this.

So what can we gather from this related to my previous post? Well, I guess a few things come to mind. It could have been a lot worse. He could have broken something. If we weren't there watching him, he may not have been able to make it inside on his own and his little sister may have not known what to do. On the other hand, it goes to show you that no matter how much you try to protect your children, there still may be things that happen that you couldn't prevent. We just need to trust God to protect them while still being responsible doing our part. We can also thank God that he wasn't injured more severely and he will be ok. I guess on the bright side, now our son will have a neat scar he can show his friends and it is not in a real prominent place. He also has something else in common with me as I got a gash on my chin when I was a kid, which is actually a somewhat humorous story. I was sitting with my brothers watching TV and I needed to go to the bathroom, but I didn't want to miss the program we were watching (probably one of the Gilligan's Island reruns). Anyway, my oldest brother said why don't you just cross your legs like this and he pulled my legs in opposite directions. I don't know if I was just startled or stupid or both but I fell off the couch hitting my chin right on our uncarpeted floor. I don't know why my arms didn't work to break my fall, maybe it was the same reason my son's arms didn't work either. : )

1 Comments:

  • I have the same scar. I slipped in the shower, and cut it on the track. At least your son has a cooler story.

    Glad he's okay.

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home