User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Dentist Difficulties

Things that make you go hmmm.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Dentist Difficulties

I had to go to the dentist last week and will go again this week for some under the gum scraping. Oh joy. Yes, I have gum problems. Apparently not only has my hair line receded (all the way to the back of my head) but my gums are also receding. Actually they have been for years, but in the last few years it has gotten noticeably worse. I do a very good job with brushing, flossing, and other procedures but it hasn't stopped the receding and now they are taking more agressive action by going under the gums and cleaning/scraping. I have had this done before several years ago and it is not a pleasant experience.

Anyway, back to the point of my post. Do you have the same difficulties that I have when you go to the dentist? I'm not talking about the cleaning and other procedures they do that can be so dreadful, but the other "social" difficulties that occur. It never fails, the dentist or hygienist or other assistants always will ask you a question when they have their dental instruments stuck in your mouth. Don't they know it is impossible to reply when they are pushing your tongue away from your teeth where they are cleaning, drilling, or scraping? Actually you are able to reply, but never intelligently. It sounds more like the-tha-thu-thu. Or you figure you can wait until the next time they stop working and give them a more complete answer, but by then they have already gone on to the next topic so you don't say anything. It can be a little easier when they ask you a yes or no question and you can say ah-hum or uh-uh, and hopefully they can understand your grunterance esp. if it is in dealing with whatever procedure they are doing. The other problem is that you are usually lying down past horizontal and it can be very difficult to be cordial in that situation. Usually it is when the hygienist is working on your teeth and the dentist comes up to do the quick check to justify that you have actually "seen the dentist" and he will greet you from behind and you try to find him from where his voice is coming from upside down. He may then come around and extend his hand. Maybe he is wanting to shake your hand, maybe not but you try to reach up and hopefully you are lucky and can give him a firm handshake and not the wimpy one that us guys hate when that happens. Or is that just me? I hate to shake another guys hand and not get your hand in there firmly before they grab yours and you end up having them shake your fingers and you feel like you all of a sudden have lace on your shorts. Anyway, then when they are finished they sit you up and as you stand you are a little dizzy and at least a bit disoriented. Of course, this is the time that they are telling you all the instructions for you to take care of your teeth in between cleanings or explaining that you have to come back for under the gum scraping etc. All the important things that it is good for you to pay attention to, but for which you only half way get because you were just laying down with your head lower than your feet for about an hour. This is also the time when they have you swish that nasty fluoride wash for 3o seconds twice. Do you have to do that? It is awful. My vote for the worse part of the whole dentist experience. It tastes awful and you want to just keep spitting and you can't drink or eat for 30 minutes afterward and you get this upset stomach feeling and even when you can eat, nothing tastes good.

What are your dentist difficulties? Do you share any of these or is it just me? I didn't get into the whole worrying about your breath smelling bad or even worse when the dentist's breath is really bad. Fortunately, they have to wear the surgical mask now adays so I haven't had this experience in awhile. : )

3 Comments:

  • The only real problem I ve had is when an aggressive hygenist started to put gobs (amd I do mean gobs) of lotion on my lips, for the purpose of keeping them moist.

    That's never been applied before, and I told her that I didn't want it. She actually argued with me, then said she'd have to check with the dentist to see if she could continue. What?

    I haven't seen her since. I suspect she was a tad too abrasive to many customers.

    By Blogger Fred, at 6:22 AM  

  • Welll, bless your heart, so sorry that you are having all of these dental problems. I'm guessing that is inheirted and certainly not on my side. :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • I'll be going to the dentist in a week or so, for a little surgery. I have a pin point spot on my gum. It has never bothered me, but the dentist says it has grown and should have it removed. Just wondering if it is really necessary. Hmmmm! :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home