User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Talking a mile a minute

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Talking a mile a minute

Do you know people like this? People who have the communication skills to "talk a mile a minute". My wife is one of these types. It is quite impressive how her brain can work so fast to a. be able to speak and add something to a conversation; 3. be able to keep up as the conversation quickly goes from one subject to another; and d. be able to listen to what the other is saying while thinking about what she is going to say next. Sometimes when my wife is talking to one of her friends like this, I try to keep up and just when I am about to add something to the conversation, I realize they are already on to the next topic. I admit that I talk pretty slow and it usually takes me awhile to get something out, but the way these ladies do it is pretty amazing. I say "ladies" as a stereotype because that has been my experience. Not too many guys have these kind of skills. Usually these are instances when I gladly will divert my attention to keeping the kids in line or something else just so I don't stand there with a blank look on my face as I try to keep up with the conversation.

This is often the case when trying to leave after church. My wife and I will often go together to pick the kids up from their class, but it usually ends up with me and the kids waiting for Mom in the foyer as she is stopped several times on the way. In between the worship service and Sunday School, I usually try to wait for my wife until I remember that it is a wasted effort as she stops for several of these conversations along the way, so I end up just going on. I think this might be a common thing for guys as one of my fellow church-going friends said it best that we ought to come up with some tool similar to blinders for a horse to lead them out of the church in a straight line to the car. I guess this shows I need to work on the area of fellowship a little more.

4 Comments:

  • Next time, take two cars. :)

    P.S. Since you're back, I put you on my sidebar.

    By Blogger Fred, at 4:24 PM  

  • Yes, this is common. It is called foyerphobia. If I wasn't clergy I'd head to the car asap it too. But don't tell anyone, OK?!

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 5:04 AM  

  • Yep, T., you just described a goodly portion of the men I know. And like Danny up there, my own pastor-husband would do the same thing if he could.

    BUT ... last night, after a rehearsal dinner for a wedding he's doing Saturday, it was ME waiting in the hallway at Red Robin for HIM to finish up three conversations he was having simultaneously. I still feel discumbobulated from the experience.

    As to your question about the new book, I posted Amazon's description at the end of that most recent post.

    By Blogger shannon, at 6:31 AM  

  • it is often like that at our church as well. it is not uncommon for people to stand around and visit for two hours after service! I like to get out of there fast because it is lunch time when service gets over with and I'm hungry!! My husband on the other hand usually has to be drug out.

    By Blogger Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo, at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home