User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Team Mascots

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Team Mascots

I think I'm pretty good at knowing most of the mascots for college teams. There are some strange ones out there that I'm not exactly sure where they came from or what they are, but I do know what the name of their mascot is. Like the #1 team in the country the Ohio State Buckeyes. Why would you choose to name your team Buckeyes after the nut of the state tree? Or Syracuse Orange? They must have thought they asked what was their team color instead of team mascot. And how would you like to be a Boilermaker from Purdue? How about a Hokie from Virginia Tech? There are also some mascots I know that most people wouldn't know like the Southern Illinois Salukis or the Wichita State Wheat Shockers (now shortened to just Shockers) or the Idaho Vandals or the New Mexico Lobos.

Now I think I found a new favorite mascot that I had never heard of before. The Zips from Akron. I have to admit I don't follow the Mid-America Conference as shows by the fact that I had never heard of the Zips even though they are the defending MAC champions in football. The University of Akron's athletic teams are known as the Zips which is short for Zippers which were overshoes that were nationally popular in the 1920s and 1930s, and also the zipper was an invention from Akron by Whitcomb L. Judson. The university's mascot is "Zippy", a kangaroo. What are some mascots that you know that maybe aren't well known? What is your favorite mascot?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home