User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: "Easy" Recipe for Tuna Casserole

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"Easy" Recipe for Tuna Casserole


A few weeks ago, my wife and kids were out of the house when I came home from work. On a normal day, (well actually we don’t have very many “normal” days so maybe I should say quite often) my wife will have dinner ready or in the works when I get home. Well on this day, she calls me and says she and the kids will be late and asks if I could get this tuna casserole started. She had a new “easy” recipe for it from a Campbell’s soup can or something like that.

Now, I am definitely not a great cook and gladly let my wife handle those duties for us while I am much better at cleaning up which she gladly let’s me handle in return. But I figure that if I can make Tuna Helper, this can’t be too much harder than that, so I say sure and look at the recipe and it says prep time is only 15 minutes and cooking time is something like 20 minutes, so I ask if she will be home by the time this is done or should I wait to put it in the oven. She says she thinks it will take me longer than the 15 minutes prep time so not worried about that. I hang up and start reading the list of ingredients and get them out and ready to put together. Everything is going smoothly and I have everything put together after just 20 minutes and I even have the oven preheated so it is ready.

I call my wife and proceed to brag to her that it only took me 20 minutes of preparation and ask if I should go ahead and put it in the oven. She asks are you sure you have everything put together properly, clearly questioning my cooking skills. I say yes and start reading over the list until I come to the last ingredient. Two cups of cooked egg noodles. She says so you were able to cook the noodles and still get all that together in just 20 minutes. Whaaaat! Cook the noodles? Dohhhh! I read right over that word “cooked”. Why didn’t they include that in the list of steps? Or at least highlight it more by calling the ingredient “previously cooked” egg noodles. I had just mixed the hard uncooked noodles in with the other ingredients I guess assuming that they would get cooked in the oven. Now I really felt stupid after just bragging about how I was pretty quick in getting this dinner ready. So now what do I do? I could start all over, but that would take too long and waste all the ingredients. So I decided that since we had plenty of egg noodles that I could just redo that ingredient, cooking them this time. That means I would have to take out all the uncooked hard noodles. I pulled out a small pot to heat up some water to boil while I began the very long process of fishing out the uncooked noodles. It took me forever, but I was able to do it with only a few hard crunches I missed and without losing too much of the other ingredients. While cooking the noodles and fishing out the hard ones, the doorbell rang and the phone rang which further made the process difficult. By the time the family got home, we only had to wait a few minutes and it actually tasted pretty good, but once again this whole experience sure makes me appreciate all my wife does for us.

3 Comments:

  • Wives are worth their weight in gold (as long as they are not severely over-weight).

    By Blogger Joe, at 3:35 AM  

  • OK... GREAT story and also a great use of "Whaaaat!" in the story.

    There needs to be two sets of directions. One for those who do 90% of the cooking and one for goofs like me who do exactly what you did and miss a small yet important detail. These directions would look like this:

    1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese Dinner OPEN CAN

    1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of celery soup OPEN CAN

    1/2 cup milk OPEN THE JUG

    1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained THAT MEANS GET ALL THE WATER OUT OF IT

    1/2 of a red pepper, chopped BE CAREFUL WITH THE KNIFE, YES YOU HAVE TO USE A KNIFE

    1 green onion, sliced SEE RED PEPPER COMMENT

    1 cup crushed potato chips THIS IS FUN BUT DON'T SPLIT THE BAG OPEN AS YOU CRUSH THEM

    Whaaaat do you think?

    By Blogger Danny Sims, at 5:43 AM  

  • Egggxaaactly!
    Sounds like a good recipe too, esp. the crushed potato chips.

    By Blogger whaaaat!, at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home