User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Another Post about Elevators

Things that make you go hmmm.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Another Post about Elevators


After posting about things to do on an elevator, it reminded me of an elevator of a different sort, a grain elevator. There aren’t that many elevators of this type around here either, but they were a common site when traveling the highways of the Texas Panhandle where I grew up. There was one in particular that we always paid attention to when we drove by it. My family may be able to share more or correct me on this if they remember better than me, but I think it was a fairly large structure somewhere near Lubbock maybe along I-27. There were several column-like rounded silo sections and the name of the company (I think “CONE” maybe but I can’t remember) was printed with one large letter on each section. As you drove past it, parts of the letters were hidden from view because of the rounded edges. At just the right spot, it looked like a giant clock with the parts of the letters you could see forming squares marking the numbers and two hands in the middle. Any of you know about this and want to share about it? The link below to a picture of a Cone elevator might be the one, but maybe not. Take a look at some of the other pictures at this website. These grain elevators can be huge and quite a sight. http://www.bnsf.com/markets/agricultural/elevator/bin8/ele2248.html

3 Comments:

  • Having lived in and traveled through Texas, I have seen many grain elevators, but I do not remember the one of which you speak.

    By Blogger Joe, at 6:17 PM  

  • Heyyy, you are close, my source tells me that this elevator is on I27 on the east side between Hale Center and Abernathy,TX. Wish we had a picture especially when the image turns into a clock. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

  • Yup! That's the cone elevator clock! Right twice a day, everyday!

    By Blogger The Dillahunty Crew, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home