User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Things that make you go hmmm.: Clean hands

Things that make you go hmmm.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Clean hands

When you wash your hands to help prevent getting the flu or some other sickness, is that really the best idea? I mean is it better to wash your hands even if you have to put your hands on the soap dispenser where everyone else who had dirty hands and germs has put their hands? I guess maybe the soap’s antibacterial ingredients can kill the germs that get on your hands from the dispenser too. But then you have to put your clean hands on the faucet to turn off the water where others with germs have touched also. And if in a public restroom, you may have to touch the paper towel dispenser and then the door handle that people that didn’t wash their hands have touched. I usually will get some paper towels ready before I wash my hands, use them to turn the water off and to dispense some more paper towels, and then if the trash is near the door, use the paper towel to open the door and throw it away on my way out. When you have to take a little one to the restroom, this usually doesn’t work. I really like the restrooms that have automatic flushers, faucets, and towel dispensers with the winding entrance with no doors. All this effort and someone will probably sneeze on you when you come out the door anyway.

1 Comments:

  • Even touching a faucet in the restroom and washing is way better than not washing (gross)! I was a medical Lab Tech by profession and I learned many yucky things about bacteria. Teach your little ones at a young age to wash after using the bathroom and they should carry on the routine forever. The problem is that most don't wash long enough so try this, teach your children to put soap on their hands the size of a quarter then while washing them under the water sing the happy birthday song. It takes about 15 to 20 seconds to sing the song and that is long enough to kill germs. I learned this as a lab student. To this day, I still sing happy birthday while washing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home